How do I avoid genetically modified organisms or GMOs in my food?

The issue of genetically modified organisms (GMOs) is a complicated one. It requires you, the consumer, to make a decision about how you will feed your family. If you feel confident in the safety of GMOs, you can go to the grocery store bolstered by the knowledge that you are purchasing some of the most heavily tested food in history. If, however, you are skeptical about these studies and the safety of GMOs and would prefer to purchase food without them, follow these simple steps:
  • Go Organic: The simplest way to avoid GMOs is to buy organic. The USDA certifies that organic foods are not bio-engineered in any way.
  • Foods to Watch Out For: Today, at least 85% of soybeans, corn, sugar beets and canola are grown from GMO seeds. Because of this, it is particularly important to avoid packaged foods with corn and soy if you are trying to cut GMOs out of your family’s diet.
  • Look for the Label: A recent study found that over 90% of Americans are in favor of labeling foods that contain GMOs. While the government does not mandate labeling, many companies have partnered with the Non-GMO Project to undergo extensive third-party verification over their non-GMO claims. The Non-GMO Project is the only North American organization offering independent testing and GMO controls. A Non-GMO seal ensures that the best practices have been followed for GMO avoidance.
 This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Food Production & Health

What is pasteurization?
Mary MullenMary Mullen
Pasteurization is a process where milk is heated to destroy microorganisms that can cause spoila...
Why should I avoid eating cottonseed oil?
Michael T. Murray, NDMichael T. Murray, ND
Cottonseed oil may contain toxic residues due to the fact that cotton is so heavily sprayed with pes...
What does the price look-up (PLU) code on produce indicate?
The little tag on fruits and vegetables -- called the price look-up (PLU) code -- holds a world ...
What are the benefits of cultured or fermented foods?
When you eat cultured, or fermented, vegetables like kim chi and sauerkraut, fermentation unlocks a ...