Why has there been an increase in Listeria outbreaks in recent years?

During the past decade there has been a major revolution in the ability to detect Listeria outbreaks through PulseNet, the national molecular subtyping network for foodborne bacterial disease surveillance. The CDC also enhanced outbreak surveillance during the late 1990s, including several activities to encourage states to report outbreaks.

Continue Learning about Food Poisoning

Reusable Totes Can Harbor Bacteria and Make You Sick
You're trying to do your bit to save the planet by using eco-friendly grocery bags, but if you don't clean those reusable totes frequently and properl...
Safe Food Handling: How to Avoid Foodborne Illness
Are you having E. coli, salmonella, campylobacter, listeria, or cyclospora for dinner? These are just a few of the hundreds of organisms that could be...
Can I eat smoked seafood if I have a high risk of illness from Listeria?
People at a higher risk of serious illness from Listeria, especially older adults, those with a weak...
How can I keep my kitchen free of listeria?
To keep your kitchen free of listeria, consider the following tips: Keep cold foods cold, which m...