What treatment stops diarrhea from severe food poisoning?

Treatment of severe diarrhea associated with food poisoning should focus more on hydration than stopping the bowel movements. Diarrhea is one of the body's ways of getting rid of toxins, so stopping excretion can prolong the infection. If the diarrhea is truly severe or prolonged, a patient may need IV fluids, antibiotics or other medications administered by a doctor. 

Continue Learning about Food Poisoning

Easy Ways to Prevent Food Contamination
Easy Ways to Prevent Food Contamination
In the BBC-3 series Climaxed, mini-episodes explore hit-and-miss relationships between people after they have sex. One four-minute taste of Sam ‘n’ El...
Does eating honey pose any health risks?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
It seems innocuous, but honey actually can pose health risks in some cases. Proponents of honey warn...
How can I keep my kitchen free of listeria?
To keep your kitchen free of listeria, consider the following tips: Keep cold foods cold, which m...
6 Surprising Foods That Can Make You Sick
6 Surprising Foods That Can Make You Sick6 Surprising Foods That Can Make You Sick6 Surprising Foods That Can Make You Sick6 Surprising Foods That Can Make You Sick
Find out some common sources of food-borne illnesses. We all know overindulging on junk food can cause an upset stomach, but the healthy, nutritious f...