What increases my risk for listeriosis?

The group of people highest at risk for listeriosis is pregnant women. In fact, nearly one in three cases of listeriosis affects a pregnant woman. Such women have weakened immune systems, making infection easier to take hold. In general, people with lowered immunity, like those with AIDS or kidney problems, are at higher risk for this infection. Also at risk are older people, newborn babies, and people who are on gastrointestinal medication.

Continue Learning about Food Poisoning

Reusable Totes Can Harbor Bacteria and Make You Sick
You're trying to do your bit to save the planet by using eco-friendly grocery bags, but if you don't clean those reusable totes frequently and properl...
Easy Ways to Prevent Food Contamination
Easy Ways to Prevent Food Contamination
In the BBC-3 series Climaxed, mini-episodes explore hit-and-miss relationships between people after they have sex. One four-minute taste of Sam ‘n’ El...
How can I tell if my food is contaminated?
If you are not careful, the food you buy can make you sick. Learn how to shop safely for groceri...
Which foods are harmful after expiring, even if they've been refrigerated?
Foods that may harbor Listeria can be harmful after expiring, even if they've been refrigerated. Lis...