What are the symptoms of botulism food poisoning?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Botulism food poisoning affects the nervous system and can cause muscle weakness and paralysis. If you think you have botulism food poisoning, seek treatment immediately because the illness can be fatal. Symptoms can appear anywhere from six hours to 10 days after the contaminated food is eaten but usually occur within 18 to 36 hours. Other symptoms include:

• difficulty speaking, swallowing, or breathing
  • weakness in the face or eyelids
  • blurry vision
  • tomach cramps, nausea, and vomiting.

Continue Learning about Food Poisoning

4 Must-Know Facts About Listeria
4 Must-Know Facts About Listeria
In 2015, it was the main culprit in an ice cream-related outbreak that sickened ten people and killed three. In 2017, there were two deaths following ...
What else besides contaminated food can cause a Listeria infection?
Listeria infections are almost always caused by contaminated food. In rare cases, cases of hospital-...
How should I wash my hands to help prevent the spread of Listeria?
To help prevent the spread of Listeria and other pathogens, wet your hands with clean, running water...
How can I keep food safe in my refrigerator?
To keep food safe in your refrigerator, do the following: Keep the refrigerator temperature it at...