Should I really only eat shellfish when there's an 'R' in the month?

This recommendation developed because a toxin responsible for paralytic shellfish poisoning is more prevalent during the summer. However, this doesn't necessarily hold true anymore because of the precautions taken by those who commercially raise and harvest shellfish such as clams, oysters, mussels and scallops. Instead of gauging the safety of your shellfish by the calendar, find out its source -- and pay attention to any advisories from state or local governments or the U.S. Department of Health. That said, as long as the shellfish you plan to enjoy has been harvested commercially, it should be safe to eat any time of the year.

Continue Learning about Food Poisoning

How can I tell if my food is contaminated?
If you are not careful, the food you buy can make you sick. Learn how to shop safely for groceri...
How can I keep food safe in my refrigerator?
To keep food safe in your refrigerator, do the following: Keep the refrigerator temperature it at...
Is it safe to eat raw cookie dough?
Academy of Nutrition and DieteticsAcademy of Nutrition and Dietetics
Regardless of how good cookie dough tastes, raw eggs can harbor bacteria that cause food poisoni...
7 Scariest Food Bugs That Can Make You Sick
7 Scariest Food Bugs That Can Make You Sick7 Scariest Food Bugs That Can Make You Sick7 Scariest Food Bugs That Can Make You Sick7 Scariest Food Bugs That Can Make You Sick
Understand some of the common causes of food poisoning—and how to avoid them. Every year thousands of pounds of food products are recalled due to fear...