Is botulism food poisoning different from infant botulism?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Botulism food poisoning refers to the illness that affects adults, while infant botulism is an illness in babies. Infant botulism occurs when botulism spores multiply in a baby's intestines. This is the most common type of botulism and typically affects babies from two to six months old. Symptoms and treatments for infant botulism are different from those of botulism food poisoning. A major cause of infant botulism is feeding honey or corn syrup to babies who are too young.

Continue Learning about Food Poisoning

What methods of food storage can reduce my risk of food poisoning?
The following methods of food storage can reduce your risk of food poisoning:  Separate raw meats...
How should I prepare food to avoid contamination if I am on dialysis?
Methodist Specialty and Transplant HospitalMethodist Specialty and Transplant Hospital
If you are on dialysis, it’s important to shop for and prepare food carefully to avoid contamination...
Why has there been an increase in Listeria outbreaks in recent years?
During the past decade there has been a major revolution in the ability to detect Listeria outbreaks...
6 Surprising Foods That Can Make You Sick
6 Surprising Foods That Can Make You Sick6 Surprising Foods That Can Make You Sick6 Surprising Foods That Can Make You Sick6 Surprising Foods That Can Make You Sick
Find out some common sources of food-borne illnesses. We all know overindulging on junk food can cause an upset stomach, but the healthy, nutritious f...