How can I prevent infant botulism food poisoning?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Infant botulism food poisoning can be prevented by avoiding exposure to Clostridium botulinum spores which cause the disease. Honey is a very common source of these spores, so avoiding honey, or any processed foods that contain honey is a critical step toward prevention. The difficulty is that these spores can also be found in dirt, water, and dust. To optimize prevention you must carefully monitor what goes into your infant's mouth, particularly until the infant reaches her first birthday, after which time, the spores are harmless.

Continue Learning about Food Poisoning

What is Campylobacter?
Campylobacter is a genus of bacteria. It is most often associated with abdominal pain, diarrhea and ...
How can I keep food safe when cooking outdoors?
To keep food safe when cooking outdoors, keep mayonnaise-based dishes or the jar of mayo in the frid...
How should I prepare food to avoid contamination if I am on dialysis?
Methodist Specialty and Transplant HospitalMethodist Specialty and Transplant Hospital
If you are on dialysis, it’s important to shop for and prepare food carefully to avoid contamination...
What are some health concerns to be aware of when I eat at a food court?
Peter DeLuciaPeter DeLucia
Some health concerns to be aware of at a food court include the cleanliness of the dining tables, tr...