Can I handle meat if I have a high risk of serious illness from Listeria?

People at higher risk of serious illness from Listeria, especially older adults, those with a weakened immune system, and pregnant women, should avoid getting fluids from hot dog and lunch meat packages on other foods, utensils, and food preparation surfaces. They should also wash their hands after handling hot dogs, luncheon meats, and deli meats.

Continue Learning about Food Poisoning

E. coli Outbreak Linked to Romaine Lettuce (Again)
Another nationwide outbreak of E. coli infection has prompted recalls of more than 75,000 pounds of romaine lettuce and other salad mixes that contain...
Easy Ways to Prevent Food Contamination
Easy Ways to Prevent Food Contamination
In the BBC-3 series Climaxed, mini-episodes explore hit-and-miss relationships between people after they have sex. One four-minute taste of Sam ‘n’ El...
How should I wash my hands to help prevent the spread of Listeria?
To help prevent the spread of Listeria and other pathogens, wet your hands with clean, running water...
How common is food poisoning?
Doreen RodoDoreen Rodo
According to the National Restaurant Association, millions of people contract a foodborne illness ea...