How can I keep food safe in my refrigerator?

To keep food safe in your refrigerator, do the following:

• Keep the refrigerator temperature it at 40 degrees F or below.
  • Keep your refrigerator clean. Keeping your fridge clean is not just so you can open it and feel good that it's gleaming: Listeria can spread between foods through spills.
  • Keep raw meat, poultry and seafood separate from other foods in your fridge.
  • Eggs can be eaten up to three to five weeks after their "use by" date. A good test: Drop the egg into a glass of water; if it floats, dump it. A sinking egg is a safe egg.

This content originally appeared on HealthyWomen.org.

Continue Learning about Food Poisoning

What is listeriosis?
Listeriosis is an infection that occurs when you ingest the bacterium Listeria monocytogenes. Lister...
Is canned seafood safe for those at high risk of contracting Listeria?
Canned and shelf stable tuna, salmon, and other fish products are safe to eat.
How is severe food poisoning prevented?
The prevention of severe food poisoning is best achieved by meticulous hand washing, safe food h...
What is Campylobacter?
Campylobacter is a genus of bacteria. It is most often associated with abdominal pain, diarrhea and ...