How can I keep food safe when cooking outdoors?

To keep food safe when cooking outdoors, keep mayonnaise-based dishes or the jar of mayo in the fridge or in a cooler until you're ready to serve them. It's not uncommon for an outdoor cook to stash things like potato salad or coleslaw on the table while grilling up the main events, but the sun is likely to wreak havoc on mayonnaise-based sides. The same goes for cheese and lunchmeats, which are also vulnerable to the sun. These foods also need to be dumped after an hour of sitting outdoors in summer weather. 

If you're storing things in a cooler, make sure the cooler stays cold. Keep it out of the sun, and use plenty of ice packs or frozen bottles of water, which you can then drink, after you've removed the food. It's better to store beverages in a separate cooler so the one with the food isn't opened as frequently.

Even fruits and veggies that have been kept cold in the fridge may be carrying bacteria or tiny critters, so be sure to give your produce a good wash before serving. 

Continue Learning about Food Poisoning

Reusable Totes Can Harbor Bacteria and Make You Sick
You're trying to do your bit to save the planet by using eco-friendly grocery bags, but if you don't clean those reusable totes frequently and properl...
How long can I keep side dishes outside before serving?
It's not uncommon for an outdoor cook to stash side dishes like potato salad or coleslaw on the tabl...
Can I eat smoked seafood if I have a high risk of illness from Listeria?
People at a higher risk of serious illness from Listeria, especially older adults, those with a weak...
10 Surprising Facts About the Deadliest Foodborne Bacteria
10 Surprising Facts About the Deadliest Foodborne Bacteria10 Surprising Facts About the Deadliest Foodborne Bacteria10 Surprising Facts About the Deadliest Foodborne Bacteria10 Surprising Facts About the Deadliest Foodborne Bacteria
Papaya, chicken and even your pet turtle can make you sick.