How will I know if I have contracted a food-borne illness?

Doreen Rodo
The only way to tell for sure if you have a food-borne illness is to be tested. Unfortunately, many people who have GI symptoms do not get tested so many food-borne illnesses go undetected. An outbreak, however, is when 2 or more people have the symptoms and are tested. In these cases, a thorough investigation is conducted to see how they contracted the illness and testing frequently occurs on others who ate the same foods.

Continue Learning about Food Poisoning

Easy Ways to Prevent Food Contamination
Easy Ways to Prevent Food Contamination
In the BBC-3 series Climaxed, mini-episodes explore hit-and-miss relationships between people after they have sex. One four-minute taste of Sam ‘n’ El...
Listeria Outbreak: Must-Know Facts and Symptoms
Food poisoning from listeria keeps making headlines in 2015. In April, Blue Bell Creameries recalled all of its products—though it started pulling pro...
How is severe food poisoning prevented?
The prevention of severe food poisoning is best achieved by meticulous hand washing, safe food h...
How serious are foodborne illnesses in the United States?
Every year, one in six Americans become ill from a foodborne pathogen. Nearly 13,000 experience ...