What causes infant botulism food poisoning?

Infant botulism food poisoning is caused by bacterial spores often found in honey, but also present in dust, standing water, and soil. Once ingested, this bacteria, known as Clostridium botulinum, continues to grow and multiply in the infant's intestinal tract, eventually becoming toxic. This toxicity causes a variety of symptoms such as constipation, weakness and loss of head control.

Continue Learning about Food Poisoning

Reusable Totes Can Harbor Bacteria and Make You Sick
You're trying to do your bit to save the planet by using eco-friendly grocery bags, but if you don't clean those reusable totes frequently and properl...
News: E. coli Illnesses From Romaine Hit 197, but End of Outbreak Appears to Be Over
As the reported number of illnesses from E. coli linked to romaine lettuce has reached 197, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) now s...
Should I really only eat shellfish when there's an 'R' in the month?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
This recommendation developed because a toxin responsible for paralytic shellfish poisoning is more ...
How can I keep food safe when cooking outdoors?
To keep food safe when cooking outdoors, keep mayonnaise-based dishes or the jar of mayo in the frid...