Can listeriosis run in families?

Listeriosis is not a genetic condition; it is a bacterial infection caused by contaminated food. Therefore, it does not run in families, and having a family member with listeriosis does not automatically increase your chances of having it, too. Listeriosis can be passed from a pregnant mother to her unborn child, though, if the mother gets listeriosis and does not get prompt antibiotic treatment.

Continue Learning about Food Poisoning

News: E. coli Illnesses From Romaine Hit 197, but End of Outbreak Appears to Be Over
As the reported number of illnesses from E. coli linked to romaine lettuce has reached 197, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) now s...
Listeria Outbreak: Must-Know Facts and Symptoms
Food poisoning from listeria keeps making headlines in 2015. In April, Blue Bell Creameries recalled all of its products—though it started pulling pro...
Which foods can cause stomach cramps?
Foods that contain lactose can cause stomach cramps for some people. Find out as Dr. Oz reveals ...
How should I prepare food to avoid contamination if I am on dialysis?
Methodist Specialty and Transplant HospitalMethodist Specialty and Transplant Hospital
If you are on dialysis, it’s important to shop for and prepare food carefully to avoid contamination...