Can people with a high Listeria risk eat pâté or meat spreads?

Those at higher risk of Listeria infection—older adults, pregnant women, and those with a weakened immune system—should not eat refrigerated pâté or meat spreads from a deli or meat counter or from the refrigerated section of a store Foods that do not need refrigeration, like canned or shelf-stable pâté and meat spreads, are safe to eat. Refrigerate these foods after opening.

Continue Learning about Food Poisoning

Is it safe to eat raw cookie dough?
Academy of Nutrition and DieteticsAcademy of Nutrition and Dietetics
Regardless of how good cookie dough tastes, raw eggs can harbor bacteria that cause food poisoni...
What methods of food storage can reduce my risk of food poisoning?
The following methods of food storage can reduce your risk of food poisoning:  Separate raw meats...
How should I prepare food to avoid contamination if I am on dialysis?
Methodist Specialty and Transplant HospitalMethodist Specialty and Transplant Hospital
If you are on dialysis, it’s important to shop for and prepare food carefully to avoid contamination...
How should I wash my hands to help prevent the spread of Listeria?
To help prevent the spread of Listeria and other pathogens, wet your hands with clean, running water...