What is aflatoxin?

Aflatoxin is a harmful substance made by certain types of mold (Aspergillus flavus and Aspergillus parasiticus) that is often found on poorly stored grains and nuts. Consumption of foods contaminated with aflatoxin is a risk factor for primary liver cancer.

This answer is based on source information from The National Cancer Institute.

Continue Learning about Food Poisoning Causes

Am I more likely to get food poisoning in the summer?
You are more likely to get food poisoning in the summer than in cooler seasons. Food products that s...
What increases my risk for food poisoning?
Nearly 1 out of every 5 cases of diarrhea is due to food poisoning. And the average US person will h...
How can reusable grocery bags cause food poisoning?
Joan Salge Blake, MS, RDJoan Salge Blake, MS, RD
Unfortunately, only 15 percent of Americans wash their reusable tote bags on a regular basis, accord...
How can kitchen sponges cause food poisoning?
Academy of Nutrition and DieteticsAcademy of Nutrition and Dietetics
A smelly, wet kitchen sponge is a sure sign of one thing: bacteria. Reusing a sponge that's cont...