What are the symptoms of fructose intolerance?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Fructose intolerance becomes apparent in infancy when children eat or drink foods and beverages that contain fructose. Symptoms include low blood sugar (fussiness and sweating), vomiting, jaundice, seizures, and liver damage. Babies may be diagnosed with failure to thrive. Limiting the fructose in your baby's diet can limit most symptoms.

Aviva J. Romm, MD
Family Medicine
Symptoms of fructose intolerance can include gas, bloating and loose stools, and these symptoms can come on within 30 minutes of eating fructose. In this video, integrative medicine expert Aviva Romm, MD, discusses the symptoms to look out for. 

Continue Learning about Food Allergies & Food Intolerance

Everything You Need to Know About Common Food Allergies
Whether shrimp makes you itchy or eggs give you hives, you’re in good company. Food allergies affect around 32 million Americans, according to the non...
What are some of the symptoms of a food intolerance in children?
Symptoms of food intolerance in children can present in many different ways. Watch for rashes and sp...
Could my peanut allergy last for the rest of my life?
Dr. Tanya R. Altmann, MDDr. Tanya R. Altmann, MD
A peanut allergy is the food allergy most likely to be life-threatening, but is it lifelong? In this...
What Foods Commonly Cause Food Allergies?