What is food intolerance?

Food intolerance is a chemical reaction in your body that does not involve the immune system. It is not an allergy. Classic examples of food intolerance include lactose intolerance, heartburn, and irritable bowel syndrome.

Lactase deficiency is as one of the most common types of food intolerance. When your body doesn't have enough of the lactase enzyme, you cannot properly digest lactose, the sugar that is found naturally in milk and in milk products. Symptoms of lactose intolerance tend to include bloating, abdominal cramps, and diarrhea.

Continue Learning about Food Allergies & Food Intolerance

Everything You Need to Know About Common Food Allergies
Whether shrimp makes you itchy or eggs give you hives, you’re in good company. Food allergies affect around 32 million Americans, according to the non...
Why Should I Avoid High-Fructose Corn Syrup?
What Can I Do If I Suspect I Have a Food Allergy?
What Are the Symptoms of Food Allergies?