What increases my risk for soy allergy?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

A soy allergy is caused by problems with the immune system. When the immune system identifies soy protein as dangerous, it produces antibodies, which trigger chemicals to cause negative reactions. An allergy to soy protein can develop over time. Even if you've eaten soy before with no reaction, you could still suffer from an allergic reaction in the future.

There are certain risk factors that may increase your chance of developing soy allergy:

• Heredity may put you at risk for a soy allergy. That means if a family member has had any type of allergy, including food allergies, asthma or hay fever, you're more likely to develop a soy allergy.
  • Other allergies may increase your likelihood for having soy allergies, so if you're allergic to other foods, especially things like wheat and beans, you may be at a higher risk for a soy allergy.
  • Babies and toddlers are also at increased risk for the disease because their digestive systems and immune systems have not yet had time to mature. Most parents discover that their children have a soy allergy when they try feeding their children an infant formula with a soy base.

Continue Learning about Food Allergies & Food Intolerance

What You Need to Know About Peanut Allergies
Whether you’ve read the tragic news stories, know someone who’s had a serious reaction, or experienced a close call yourself, you’re likely aware that...
Will a child outgrow a peanut allergy?
Dr. Michael T. Murray, NDDr. Michael T. Murray, ND
Nut allergies tend to be "fixed"; in other words, children do not outgrow them and lifelong avoidanc...
What lifestyle changes must I make if I have a child with wheat allergies?
The most significant lifestyle change will be what foods you and your family eat and how you cook it...
All About Milk Alternatives
All About Milk Alternatives