What increases the risk for peanut allergy?

Researchers have yet to discover what causes a person to develop a peanut allergy. For some reason, your immune system decides that peanut proteins are a threat to your body and develops antibodies that will cause an allergic reaction when you next encounter peanut protein. When you come into contact with peanuts either by ingestion, skin contact or inhalation, those antibodies release chemicals that cause swelling in nearby tissue. In a severe allergic reaction, this can begin a domino effect that harms other body tissue.

Children are most at risk for developing peanut allergy and any other food allergy. Peanut allergy symptoms usually start to appear within the first few years of childhood. Interestingly, about one in five children eventually outgrow peanut allergy. People whose parents have had any type of allergy-especially food allergy-are at a higher risk for developing a peanut allergy. Also, studies suggest that people who live in an urban area are more likely to develop allergies than people who live in more rural settings.

Continue Learning about Food Allergies & Food Intolerance

Are Your Food Allergies Real?
Are Your Food Allergies Real?
Many parents refused to take their children to see last year’s film Peter Rabbit. The movie includes a scene in which Peter and a gang of bunnies use ...
What should I feed a baby with a milk allergy?
Dr. Paul M. Ehrlich, MDDr. Paul M. Ehrlich, MD
True milk allergy involves the presence of an immunoglobulin E (IgE) antibody to one or more protein...
How common are food intolerances?
Nancee Jaffe, RDNancee Jaffe, RD
Food intolerances are incredibly common. Lactose is a big one. Up to 50% of the U.S. population has ...
What Are Some Food Substitutions for Corn in my Diet?