What are the benefits of a food-elimination test?

When you eliminate a group from your diet via a food-elimination test, you'll notice different things about the way you feel. For instance, you may have more energy when you eliminate the aging fats (saturated fat and trans fat) from your diet, and that'll help you stick to a diet low in saturated fat because you'll notice -- and like -- the changes.

It's all about awareness -- being in tune to which foods make you feel crummy and which make you want to sprint to the top of Mt. Kilimanjaro. A three-day food elimination plan is especially a good test because you may be able to identify subtle food allergies through this method.

Although some food allergies may be as obvious as a botched hair transplant, others may not be so clear. Low-grade food allergies can make you feel as if you have a touch of the flu -- with a runny nose and headache. Through the food-elimination test, you can help make a diagnosis and avoid some of the foods that don't make you feel well.

Best of all, this experiment trains you to do something that's good not only for your digestive system but also for your overall health and youth. It teaches you to eat smaller meals by restricting some of the usual foods that you would toss in your mouth by habit. And that's good for everyone.

Continue Learning about Food Allergies & Food Intolerance

Should common food allergens be banned from schools?
Paul M. Ehrlich, MDPaul M. Ehrlich, MD
I agree with the Food Allergy & Anaphylaxis Network (FAAN) that foods that cause common allergic...
How can a child's food allergy be diagnosed?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
In many cases, an allergist can diagnose food allergies from the history and supportive testing usin...
Why Should I Avoid High-Fructose Corn Syrup?
Why Is Healthy Digestion Important?
Why Is Healthy Digestion Important?