What are wheat allergies?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Wheat allergies are an adverse reaction of your body's immune system to wheat proteins. Someone with wheat allergies develops a particular antibody to fight against the wheat protein as if it were a disease. Those antibodies, which normally help us fight off illness, are the cause of the allergic reaction. Allergic reactions include rashes, breathing difficulty, queasiness and sometimes a very serious reaction called anaphylaxis.

Some allergies can be brought on or made worse by exercise, especially in the case of wheat allergies. This will only be the case, however, if one exercises after eating a wheat product. As you begin exercising, you may become itchy, short of breath and develop anaphylaxis. The best way to prevent an exercise-induced allergic reaction is to avoid exercising a few hours after the food that caused your reaction.

Continue Learning about Food Allergies & Food Intolerance

Could You Have a Food Sensitivity and Not Know It?
If your skin breaks into a fiery, itchy rash, your tongue swells and breathing becomes difficult shortly after eating a shrimp cocktail, there’s a goo...
Can I eat non-dairy foods if I have a milk allergy?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
"Non-dairy" foods may still contain milk proteins, so if you have a milk allergy, take time to read ...
What increases my risk for soy allergy?
A soy allergy is caused by problems with the immune system. When the immune system identifies soy pr...
How Can a Food Sensitivity to Corn Mimic Gluten Sensitivity in the Body?