What are the symptoms of a wheat allergy?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Within minutes or hours after eating food containing wheat, a variety of symptoms can occur for an individual who has wheat allergies. The mouth and throat area can become itchy or swollen. As the wheat gets digested, you may experience vomiting, cramps, diarrhea, decreases in blood pressure, itchy or swollen skin, rashes or eye irritation. You may also experience problems with breathing. In very serious cases, people experience anaphylaxis, which causes throat swelling, chest pain, dizziness, difficulty breathing and change in skin color from lack of oxygen. Anaphylaxis is potentially fatal.

Wheat allergy symptoms should be discussed with your doctor. Symptoms can range from slight to severe and are life-threatening in some cases. A health care professional is the only one who can diagnose your allergies and give advice on treatment or any changes that need to be made to your diet. Be sure to speak with your doctor about the symptoms, causes, complications and treatments associated with wheat allergies.

Continue Learning about Food Allergies & Food Intolerance

Everything You Need to Know About Common Food Allergies
Whether shrimp makes you itchy or eggs give you hives, you’re in good company. Food allergies affect around 32 million Americans, according to the non...
What Increases My Risk for a Food Allergy?
All About Milk Alternatives
All About Milk Alternatives
What Foods Commonly Cause Food Allergies?