How vigilant should I be if my child has a peanut allergy?

If your child has a severe peanut allergy or other serious allergy, you will have to be his strongest advocate everywhere he goes -- clearly communicating in writing the seriousness of the allergy and how to handle it, including prevention, an action plan in case of exposure, and emergency numbers. Many other parents will try to help, some will be aloof, and some will underestimate the severity of the problem, so make no assumptions about what other people know and don't know about allergies. Be clear about the risks and about the parameters: for example, that your child will get reactions even if the peanuts are anywhere in the room. As your child gets older, she'll learn what she can and can't have, but at this stage it takes hypervigilance on your part to educate everyone else around her. Clear up some of the most common rookie mistakes that adults make: like making a sandwich with the same knife that was used to spread peanut butter, or sharing foods that don't overtly contain any peanuts but may have been made with peanut oil.
YOU: Raising Your Child: The Owner's Manual from First Breath to First Grade

There’s little doubt that parenting can be one of the most rewarding and satisfying experiences you’ll ever have. But it can be plenty tough, too: Around the clock, you’re working to keep your...

Continue Learning about Food Allergies & Food Intolerance

What You Need to Know About Peanut Allergies
Whether you’ve read the tragic news stories, know someone who’s had a serious reaction, or experienced a close call yourself, you’re likely aware that...
What increases my risk for soy allergy?
A soy allergy is caused by problems with the immune system. When the immune system identifies soy pr...
How can I help my child manage a food allergy?
Dr. Clifford W. Bassett, MDDr. Clifford W. Bassett, MD
  Here are some tips and strategies that may help to reduce the risks during Halloween if you have ...
All About Milk Alternatives
All About Milk Alternatives