What are the treatment options for peanut allergy?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Unfortunately for peanut lovers, the most effective way to treat peanut allergy is to completely remove peanuts from your diet and from your environment. Depending on your sensitivity, you may experience an allergic reaction not only by eating peanuts but also by eating something that came into contact with peanuts or by inhaling peanut protein. Because of this, try to avoid any products that contain peanuts or are processed in the same places as peanuts. For milder reactions, there are some medications—such as antihistamines—that treat symptoms like swelling and hives. For people with more severe allergies, it's important to be prepared. Anaphylaxis is a serious health threat that can block normal breathing, so doctors usually recommend that people with serious peanut allergy carry an epinephrine injector in case of an anaphylactic reaction.

There's not much evidence to support the effectiveness of many alternative treatments for peanut allergy. Some people report that herbal remedies relieve symptoms. For example, a 2007 study showed that a Chinese herbal formula may help prevent peanut allergy reactions. Others claim that acupuncture is beneficial. Other alternative treatments include special diets with supplements and certain foods eaten at certain times.

Continue Learning about Food Allergies & Food Intolerance

What Are Some Food Substitutions for Corn in my Diet?
How Can I Get My Digestion Back on Track?
Why Should I Avoid High-Fructose Corn Syrup?
What Increases My Risk for a Food Allergy?