What are the symptoms of peanut allergy?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Some symptoms of an allergic reaction to peanuts include itching in the throat and mouth; hives, skin redness or swelling; a stuffy or runny nose; stomach problems such as nausea, diarrhea or cramps; and in some cases, chest tightness and difficulty breathing. These symptoms usually start within just a few minutes of contact with peanuts. Some people with peanut allergies experience a more severe reaction called anaphylaxis, which is an emergency that requires immediate medical attention. Symptoms of anaphylaxis include dizziness, fainting, fast pulse, shock and difficulty breathing. Anaphylaxis is more common in people with peanut allergies than with any other allergy. If you know you have a severe peanut allergy, you should always carry an epinephrine injector, and a medical alert bracelet.

Continue Learning about Food Allergies & Food Intolerance

Are Your Food Allergies Real?
Are Your Food Allergies Real?
Many parents refused to take their children to see last year’s film Peter Rabbit. The movie includes a scene in which Peter and a gang of bunnies use ...
What are IgE-mediated food allergies?
Jessica R. Savage, MDJessica R. Savage, MD
IgE-mediated food allergies are one of the main types of food allergies. In this video, Jessica Sava...
How can I tell if my baby is allergic to soy?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
A soy allergy is often diagnosed in infancy when a child has a reaction to a formula that contains s...
What Foods Commonly Cause Food Allergies?