Should I talk to my doctor about my fructose intolerance symptoms?

You should talk to your doctor if you notice any fructose intolerance symptoms. After your doctor completes tests to determine if you have fructose intolerance, you may be referred to a nutritionist who can help you modify your diet to avoid fructose-rich foods. A nutritionist can also help ensure that your diet contains the nutrients you need to maintain your health.

Dr. Robin Miller, MD
It is very important for you to talk to your doctor about your fructose intolerance symptoms.  This may include bloating, cramping, diarrhea and gas. If you just suspect that this is your problem, your doctor can confirm the diagnosis by giving you a breath test to see if in fact you do have fructose intolerance. Many people may have other problems such as celiac disease or bacterial overgrowth, which would be treated differently.

If your diagnosis is confirmed, your doctor can help guide you to the foods that will be best for you to avoid such as those that contain high fructose corn syrup, many fruits and fruit juices, and certain vegetables that are high in fructans such as artichokes and asparagus.

Continue Learning about Food Allergies & Food Intolerance

What You Need to Know About Peanut Allergies
Whether you’ve read the tragic news stories, know someone who’s had a serious reaction, or experienced a close call yourself, you’re likely aware that...
If I have a food allergy, how can I avoid having a reaction?
Dr. Clifford W. Bassett, MDDr. Clifford W. Bassett, MD
It's so important if you are invited to a holiday dinner to speak with your host prior to them prepa...
What causes wheat allergies?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Certain foods prompt the body's immune system to react in abnormal ways. For people with wheat aller...
How Can I Help Prevent Food Allergies?
How Can I Help Prevent Food Allergies?