Why do doctors often ask if I'm allergic to shellfish?

Deborah Davis
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
Shellfish allergy is one of the most common food allergies.  If you have a shellfish allergy, you may have an allergic reaction to only certain kinds of shellfish, or you may have an allergy to all shellfish.  Shellfish include marine animals with shells, such as clams, lobster and shrimp, as wel as octopus and squid.  Shellfish allergy can cause mild symptoms such as hives or nasal congestion, or more-severe and even life-threatening symptom.  For some people, even a tiny amount of shellfish can cause a serious reaction.  Doctors often ask about shellfish allergies as they can be life-threatening in those persons with severe allergic reactions.
People allergic to shellfish are also allergic to some dyes used in medical testing. The harmful ingredient: the iodine found in both. That's why doctors often ask this question on screening questionnaires.
YOU: The Owner's Manual, Updated and Expanded Edition: An Insider's Guide to the Body that Will Make You Healthier and Younger

Between your full-length mirror and high-school biology class, you probably think you know a lot about the human body. While it's true that we live in an age when we're as obsessed with our bodies as...

Continue Learning about Food Allergies & Food Intolerance

Are Your Food Allergies Real?
Are Your Food Allergies Real?
Many parents refused to take their children to see last year’s film Peter Rabbit. The movie includes a scene in which Peter and a gang of bunnies use ...
How can I avoid foods I'm allergic to?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
To avoid foods you're allergic to, it is important to pay close attention to food labels as it can o...
What is a gluten allergy?
Int'l Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)Int'l Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)
Eighteen million people in the United States are sensitive or allergic to gluten, a protein found in...
What Are the Symptoms of a Food Sensitivity to Corn?