How can I tell if I am sensitive to a particular food?

The best way to determine if a food is causing symptoms is to do what is called an elimination diet. This involves removing the foods most likely to cause your symptoms for ten to fourteen days. Then you can reintroduce the foods one by one. Keep in mind that sometimes the body will not react until you have a certain amount of a food in your system. So if you don't have a reaction at first, but you begin to have symptoms when you return to eating a food regularly, try eliminating it again. This can be a grueling process, and you might want the support of a nutritionist, who may also be able to help identify foods that are problematic

Our Bodies, Ourselves: A New Edition for a New Era

America's best-selling book on all aspects of women's health With more than four million copies sold, "Our Bodies, Ourselves" is "the" classic resource that women of all ages can turn to for...

Continue Learning about Food Allergies & Food Intolerance

Are Your Food Allergies Real?
Are Your Food Allergies Real?
Many parents refused to take their children to see last year’s film Peter Rabbit. The movie includes a scene in which Peter and a gang of bunnies use ...
Is there a difference between a food allergy and a food intolerance?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
True food allergies must be distinguished from intolerances, particularly in children and teenagers,...
Could I be allergic to carmine?
Clifford W. Bassett, MDClifford W. Bassett, MD
Carmine (a red food coloring made from beetles) has been used as a coloring agent in many foods from...
The Risk for Allergens in Your Food
The Risk for Allergens in Your Food