How can I tell if I am sensitive to a particular food?

The best way to determine if a food is causing symptoms is to do what is called an elimination diet. This involves removing the foods most likely to cause your symptoms for ten to fourteen days. Then you can reintroduce the foods one by one. Keep in mind that sometimes the body will not react until you have a certain amount of a food in your system. So if you don't have a reaction at first, but you begin to have symptoms when you return to eating a food regularly, try eliminating it again. This can be a grueling process, and you might want the support of a nutritionist, who may also be able to help identify foods that are problematic

Our Bodies, Ourselves: A New Edition for a New Era

America's best-selling book on all aspects of women's health With more than four million copies sold, "Our Bodies, Ourselves" is "the" classic resource that women of all ages can turn to for...

Continue Learning about Food Allergies & Food Intolerance

Can eating peanuts while I'm pregnant cause peanut allergy in my child?
Dr. Pina LoGiudice, LAc, NDDr. Pina LoGiudice, LAc, ND
A study in the Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology conducted at Mount Sinai in New York looke...
Is there a difference between a food allergy and a food intolerance?
Many people think the terms food allergy and food intolerance mean the same thing, but they do not. ...
What is food intolerance?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Food intolerance is a chemical reaction in your body that does not involve the immune system. It is ...
How Can a Food Sensitivity to Corn Mimic Gluten Sensitivity in the Body?