Are peanuts the only foods that can cause a severe allergic reaction?

Peanuts can cause very serious reactions. Other foods have been known to cause a severe reactions as well.
Sherry Coleman Collins
Food allergies have been implicated in reactions to many different foods, as varied as milk and citrus fruit. Any food allergen can cause a reaction which can range from mild to very severe and may even be life-threatening. That said, the actual incidence of food allergy is actually very low, with estimates being less than 4% of adults and up to 6% of children. Proper testing by an allergist can confirm a true food allergy.

Continue Learning about Food Allergies & Food Intolerance

Everything You Need to Know About Common Food Allergies
Whether shrimp makes you itchy or eggs give you hives, you’re in good company. Food allergies affect around 32 million Americans, according to the non...
Could my peanut allergy last for the rest of my life?
Dr. Tanya R. Altmann, MDDr. Tanya R. Altmann, MD
A peanut allergy is the food allergy most likely to be life-threatening, but is it lifelong? In this...
What are the symptoms of a wheat allergy?
Within minutes or hours after eating food containing wheat, a variety of symptoms can occur for an i...
Why Should I Avoid High-Fructose Corn Syrup?