Will my child outgrow his food allergy?

In general, most children will outgrow their allergies in early childhood. By the age of 5, 80% to 90% of children will outgrow their wheat, milk, egg and soya allergies. However, only 20% of peanut allergies are outgrown. Nuts and seafood allergies tend not to be outgrown. A food challenge test can be done in a healthcare provider's office under supervision.
Vandana  R. Sheth
According to the Food Allergy & Anaphylaxis Network "Most children outgrow their food allergies to milk, eggs, soy and wheat, by the time they are 10 years old.  Allergies to peanuts, tree nuts and shellfish are however lifelong.  However, studies have shown that 20% of children may outgrow their allergies to peanutd and 10% outgrow their allergies to treenuts."

Continue Learning about Food Allergies & Food Intolerance

Why has there been an increase in food allergies?
Leigh Vinocur, MDLeigh Vinocur, MD
The Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Network (FAAN) states that food allergies affect about 3% of the ge...
Can I eat non-dairy foods if I have a milk allergy?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
"Non-dairy" foods may still contain milk proteins, so if you have a milk allergy, take time to read ...
How can I protect my child from an allergic reaction to wheat?
The most effective protection from a wheat allergy reaction is total avoidance of foods that contain...
What Are the Symptoms of a Food Sensitivity to Corn?