How can I lose weight while dealing with food allergies?

Laura Motosko, MSEd, RD

I recommend that you see a Registered Dietitian to evaluate your food allergies, evaluate your nutrition status and devise a meal plan to help you meet your weight loss goals and optimal nutrient intake.

Sarah Krieger
If weight loss is desired when a person is newly diagnosed with a food allergy, it may be best to set up a visit with a registered dietitian. An RD can help identify how many foods a person is eating that may contain the food allergen and then set up a menu or diet plan so the person can be successful with weight loss. Go to eatright.org to find an RD in your area.
Annette Duncan

That is not an easy answer. You will need to sit down with a Registered Dietitian (RD) to discuss your specific food allergies and devise a plan that will work for you. A Registered Dietitian will also be able to help you recognize and avoid "hidden" sources of food allergies while maximizing your nutrient intake.

Cassie Vanderwall

Individuals can lose weight while dealing with food allergies the same way as an allergy-free person. Energy in (food) must be less than energy out (exercise), in order to lose weight. It is best to visit a dietitian, in order to identify foods that are safe for you to eat. They can also help to create a meal plan that provides the right amount of energy to produce gradual and lasting weight loss.

Continue Learning about Food Allergies & Food Intolerance

Everything You Need to Know About Common Food Allergies
Whether shrimp makes you itchy or eggs give you hives, you’re in good company. Food allergies affect around 32 million Americans, according to the non...
How common are food intolerances?
Nancee Jaffe, RDNancee Jaffe, RD
Food intolerances are incredibly common. Lactose is a big one. Up to 50% of the U.S. population has ...
Should common food allergens be banned from schools?
Paul M. Ehrlich, MDPaul M. Ehrlich, MD
I agree with the Food Allergy & Anaphylaxis Network (FAAN) that foods that cause common allergic...
What Are Some Food Substitutions for Corn in my Diet?