How do wheat allergies affect the body?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Wheat allergies cause the body to react negatively toward wheat protein. When an individual eats wheat products the immune system creates antibodies that attack those wheat proteins. Those antibodies cause an allergic reaction in the body that can range from slight to severe. The symptoms of an allergic reaction can affect the mouth, throat, digestive system, and eyes, causing rashes, irritation, and swelling.

Continue Learning about Food Allergies & Food Intolerance

If I have a food allergy, how can I avoid having a reaction?
To help Americans avoid the health risks due to food allergens, Congress passed the Food Allergen La...
How do I manage my peanut allergy on a daily basis?
Though it may seem obvious, the best way to manage a peanut allergy is to avoid peanuts. The Food an...
Will a child outgrow a peanut allergy?
Dr. Michael T. Murray, NDDr. Michael T. Murray, ND
Nut allergies tend to be "fixed"; in other words, children do not outgrow them and lifelong avoidanc...
What is the difference between soy allergy and soy intolerance?
If you become ill after eating soy, you may have a soy allergy. Soy allergies result in a negative r...