How can I tell if my baby is allergic to soy?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

A soy allergy is often diagnosed in infancy when a child has a reaction to a formula that contains soy. A reaction to soy in babies usually manifests as a rash and, sometimes, diarrhea or vomiting. When babies are around one year old, their soy allergy symptoms may include more cold-like symptoms such as runny noses and wheezing.

Parents used to think they could protect their children from a soy allergy by not giving them soy in early childhood. However, doctors aren't sure that this actually helps. In fact, the most recent medical information suggests there is little parents can do to prevent their children from developing a soy allergy. Parents can, however, protect their children from the symptoms of the allergy by restricting their exposure to soy, letting their schools know about the allergy, and teaching them to avoid foods that contain soy.

By the time they're about three years old, many children outgrow their soy allergies. If you think your child has a soy allergy, make sure you avoid providing any products containing soy, and talk to your doctor.

Continue Learning about Food Allergies & Food Intolerance

Can I eat non-dairy foods if I have a milk allergy?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
"Non-dairy" foods may still contain milk proteins, so if you have a milk allergy, take time to read ...
What can I do for my children to help prevent a food allergy reaction?
Academy of Nutrition and DieteticsAcademy of Nutrition and Dietetics
Once your child's pediatrician or allergist has tested and confirmed food allergies, you need to be ...
What is the most common food allergy?
Intermountain Registered DietitiansIntermountain Registered Dietitians
Foods that most frequently trigger allergic reactions in children include eggs, milk, wheat, soy, fi...
How to Spot Food Allergies in Kids
How to Spot Food Allergies in Kids