How can I tell if my baby is allergic to soy?

A soy allergy is often diagnosed in infancy when a child has a reaction to a formula that contains soy. A reaction to soy in babies usually manifests as a rash and, sometimes, diarrhea or vomiting. When babies are around one year old, their soy allergy symptoms may include more cold-like symptoms such as runny noses and wheezing.

Parents used to think they could protect their children from a soy allergy by not giving them soy in early childhood. However, doctors aren't sure that this actually helps. In fact, the most recent medical information suggests there is little parents can do to prevent their children from developing a soy allergy. Parents can, however, protect their children from the symptoms of the allergy by restricting their exposure to soy, letting their schools know about the allergy, and teaching them to avoid foods that contain soy.

By the time they're about three years old, many children outgrow their soy allergies. If you think your child has a soy allergy, make sure you avoid providing any products containing soy, and talk to your doctor.

Continue Learning about Food Allergies & Food Intolerance

Could You Have a Food Sensitivity and Not Know It?
If your skin breaks into a fiery, itchy rash, your tongue swells and breathing becomes difficult shortly after eating a shrimp cocktail, there’s a goo...
What lifestyle changes must I make if I have a child with wheat allergies?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
The most significant lifestyle change will be what foods you and your family eat and how you cook it...
How common are food intolerances?
Nancee Jaffe, RDNancee Jaffe, RD
Food intolerances are incredibly common. Lactose is a big one. Up to 50% of the U.S. population has ...
What Foods Commonly Cause Food Allergies?