How might managing food allergies get harder as my child gets older?

Ms. Vandana  R. Sheth
Nutrition & Dietetics Specialist

Kids with food allergies might get teased by others who might not understand why they are different or need to stay away from some foods or need to eat special foods. However, food allergies are serious and the best way to handle this is to practice role playing at home with your child and provide education/awareness to the children at school and in activities that your child participates in. If you suspect that your child is getting teased, take immediate action and involve others in the education process so that your child has a safe environment and access to participate in activities like other children.

Dr. Paul M. Ehrlich, MD
Allergist & Immunologist

When children with food allergies develop new, more independent social lives, it becomes harder and harder to manage their allergy. When they are with their peers at coffee shops and malls they will be tempted by easy access to ice cream and other possibly verboten foods. If their friends are ordering sundaes, who's to say that they may not put peanuts on them, even if they risk accidental exposure? They don't want to be the one kid at the confirmation parties or Bar Mitzvahs who never gets to eat and always has to watch out for what others have eaten. These feelings of strangeness can cause a lonely period of life to be even lonelier, although there are always those who feel special—usually girls—because they get to carry medicine with them.

Asthma Allergies Children: A Parent's Guide

Asthma and allergies are at epidemic proportions. It doesn't have to be that way. Two experienced pediatric allergists tell everything a conscientious parent needs to know about these conditions,...

Continue Learning about Food Allergies & Food Intolerance

Are Your Food Allergies Real?
Are Your Food Allergies Real?
Many parents refused to take their children to see last year’s film Peter Rabbit. The movie includes a scene in which Peter and a gang of bunnies use ...
Can I eat non-dairy foods if I have a milk allergy?
Marisa MooreMarisa Moore
If you have a milk allergy, you still have to be careful with "non-dairy" foods. These foods often c...
What is a food allergy?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
A food allergy is the body's reaction when the immune system gets confused and attacks things in foo...
What Foods Commonly Cause Food Allergies?