Does fructose intolerance affect children differently than adults?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Fructose intolerance can be fatal for children if undiagnosed and untreated. It is often diagnosed when babies start taking formula and baby food, as fructose can be used as a sweetener in these products. Some symptoms of fructose intolerance are the same in both adults and children: vomiting, jaundice (a yellowish discoloration of the whites of the eyes, skin, and mucous membranes), fatigue due to lack of energy, and crankiness. Children may slow down in growth and development. Children and adults both respond well to a fructose-free diet.

Continue Learning about Food Allergies & Food Intolerance

What can I do if my child has gluten and sugar allergies?
If your child has gluten allergies or intolerance, you'll have to watch what you feed her. But for t...
What increases the risk for peanut allergy?
Researchers have yet to discover what causes a person to develop a peanut allergy. For some reason, ...
What are the benefits of a food-elimination test?
When you eliminate a group from your diet via a food-elimination test, you'll notice different t...
What is the food elimination test?
Because food has such an influence on our digestion, it stands to reason that you can change the way...