How can I help my child manage a food allergy?

Ms. Vandana  R. Sheth
Nutrition & Dietetics Specialist

As a registered dietitian specializing in food allergies and mother of a child with severe food allergies, here are some tips:

• Start by educating your child on his/her specific food allergy.
  • Discuss "safe" foods and foods to avoid.
  • Practice label-reading and have a plan for parties, school holiday events, food-related projects, etc.
  • Depending upon the age of your child, consider doing a food allergy awareness program at the preschool/school to educate others in supporting your child. Involve friends and family members in the process to ensure a safe and inclusive environment for your child.
  • Consider scheduling a session for your child and you with a registered dietitian specializing in food allergies. The Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Network is good resource.

Continue Learning about Food Allergies & Food Intolerance

What are the symptoms of a wheat allergy?
Within minutes or hours after eating food containing wheat, a variety of symptoms can occur for an i...
If I have a food allergy, how can I avoid having a reaction?
To help Americans avoid the health risks due to food allergens, Congress passed the Food Allergen La...
How should schools manage their students' food allergies?
Sarah WordenSarah Worden
Schools must carefully manage allergies to protect the safety of students. The best practice for thi...
What Are Some Food Substitutions for Corn in my Diet?