How can a child's food allergy be diagnosed?

In many cases, an allergist can diagnose food allergies from the history and supportive testing using either a simple skin prick test or blood work. Oftentimes, the diagnosis of a food allergy is still unclear. Your child’s allergist may recommend an oral food challenge, where a small amount of the problem food is given to the child under direct supervision, in a safe and controlled setting.

Once the allergy is accurately identified, avoidance of the specific problem food resolves all symptoms. Antihistamines, epinephrine and steroids are used to treat the symptoms of allergic reactions. For people with severe allergies, epinephrine, a small dose of adrenaline, should be kept on their person at all times. This therapy can be lifesaving.

Continue Learning about Food Allergies & Food Intolerance

Are Your Food Allergies Real?
Are Your Food Allergies Real?
Many parents refused to take their children to see last year’s film Peter Rabbit. The movie includes a scene in which Peter and a gang of bunnies use ...
Could my peanut allergy last for the rest of my life?
Dr. Tanya R. Altmann, MDDr. Tanya R. Altmann, MD
A peanut allergy is the food allergy most likely to be life-threatening, but is it lifelong? In this...
What are the benefits of a food-elimination test?
When you eliminate a group from your diet via a food-elimination test, you'll notice different t...
How Can I Help Prevent Food Allergies?
How Can I Help Prevent Food Allergies?