Does peanut allergy run in families?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Peanut allergies, like most types of allergies, tend to run in families. That means that if your parents have had a peanut allergy, you're much more likely to develop the condition, too. However, it's not just a history of peanut allergy that increases your chances. If a parent has had other food allergies, allergic asthma, or seasonal allergies, your risk for developing a peanut allergy may be increased.

Continue Learning about Food Allergies & Food Intolerance

What causes wheat allergies?
Certain foods prompt the body's immune system to react in abnormal ways. For people with wheat aller...
What is the food elimination test?
Because food has such an influence on our digestion, it stands to reason that you can change the way...
What should I do if I think I'm gluten intolerant?
Here's what to do if you suspect gluten intolerance is to blame for your digestion problems:Talk...
What Increases My Risk for a Food Allergy?