What is the difference between soy allergy and soy intolerance?

If you become ill after eating soy, you may have a soy allergy. Soy allergies result in a negative reaction after eating soy, which produces symptoms that are generally mild, such as hives, rashes, nausea and wheezing. However, becoming ill after you eat a product made with soy may not be caused by a soy allergy but rather a soy intolerance. This may be a digestive problem that results in symptoms like upset stomach. This is different from a soy allergy since the problem originates in the digestive system, not the immune system. To determine whether you have a soy allergy or intolerance, talk to your doctor.

Most of the time, a soy allergy is more annoying and uncomfortable than it is serious. However, soy allergies can occasionally be serious and even fatal. People who are strongly allergic to soy can experience anaphylaxis, which consists of severe airway constriction, loss of consciousness and a rapid but weak pulse.

Continue Learning about Food Allergies & Food Intolerance

Are Your Food Allergies Real?
Are Your Food Allergies Real?
Many parents refused to take their children to see last year’s film Peter Rabbit. The movie includes a scene in which Peter and a gang of bunnies use ...
Can eating peanuts while I'm pregnant cause peanut allergy in my child?
Dr. Pina LoGiudice, LAc, NDDr. Pina LoGiudice, LAc, ND
A study in the Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology conducted at Mount Sinai in New York looke...
What can I do if my child has gluten and sugar allergies?
If your child has gluten allergies or intolerance, you'll have to watch what you feed her. But for t...
What Increases My Risk for a Food Allergy?