Can desensitization or immunotherapy help treat soy allergy?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

You may have heard that you can become desensitized to soy through exposing yourself to the food gradually. One method for "desensitization" involves eating tiny amounts of soy till you can tolerate it without a reaction. This method has not been proven effective. Another method is immunotherapy, which involves having tiny amounts of soy injected into your skin. Although immunotherapy is an effective treatment for some allergies, it hasn't been proven effective for soy allergy. The most effective way to treat a soy allergy is to avoid soy altogether, not try to "build up a tolerance" for it.

Continue Learning about Food Allergies & Food Intolerance

Are Your Food Allergies Real?
Are Your Food Allergies Real?
Many parents refused to take their children to see last year’s film Peter Rabbit. The movie includes a scene in which Peter and a gang of bunnies use ...
What should I do if I think I'm gluten intolerant?
Here's what to do if you suspect gluten intolerance is to blame for your digestion problems:Talk...
What can I do for my children to help prevent a food allergy reaction?
Academy of Nutrition and DieteticsAcademy of Nutrition and Dietetics
Once your child's pediatrician or allergist has tested and confirmed food allergies, you need to be ...
What lifestyle changes must I make if I have a child with wheat allergies?
The most significant lifestyle change will be what foods you and your family eat and how you cook it...