Can desensitization or immunotherapy help treat soy allergy?

You may have heard that you can become desensitized to soy through exposing yourself to the food gradually. One method for "desensitization" involves eating tiny amounts of soy till you can tolerate it without a reaction. This method has not been proven effective. Another method is immunotherapy, which involves having tiny amounts of soy injected into your skin. Although immunotherapy is an effective treatment for some allergies, it hasn't been proven effective for soy allergy. The most effective way to treat a soy allergy is to avoid soy altogether, not try to "build up a tolerance" for it.

Continue Learning about Food Allergies & Food Intolerance

Everything You Need to Know About Food Allergies
Whether shrimp makes you itchy or eggs give you hives, you’re in good company. Food allergies affect around 32 million Americans, according to the non...
What causes wheat allergies?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Certain foods prompt the body's immune system to react in abnormal ways. For people with wheat aller...
What should I do if I think I have a food allergy?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
If you think you have a food allergy, it’s important to visit your doctor. Your doctor will ask lots...
What Can I Do If I Suspect I Have a Food Allergy?