Why is cross-contamination a danger for people with peanut allergies?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

When a food is cross-contaminated by peanuts, it means that traces of peanuts have ended up in your food, even though peanuts are not a main ingredient. Often this happens because a food has been processed in the same factory as a food containing peanuts or because food has touched a surface with peanut residue on it. If you have a peanut allergy, you must be aware that any amount of peanut that you eat or breathe in may cause an allergic response. This is why it's a good idea to be prepared for an allergic reaction at any time.

Continue Learning about Food Allergies & Food Intolerance

What Increases My Risk for a Food Allergy?
What Are the Symptoms of a Food Sensitivity to Corn?
How Can I Help Prevent Food Allergies?
How Can I Help Prevent Food Allergies?
Why Should I Avoid High-Fructose Corn Syrup?