Why is cross-contamination a danger for people with peanut allergies?

When a food is cross-contaminated by peanuts, it means that traces of peanuts have ended up in your food, even though peanuts are not a main ingredient. Often this happens because a food has been processed in the same factory as a food containing peanuts or because food has touched a surface with peanut residue on it. If you have a peanut allergy, you must be aware that any amount of peanut that you eat or breathe in may cause an allergic response. This is why it's a good idea to be prepared for an allergic reaction at any time.

Continue Learning about Food Allergies & Food Intolerance

Could You Have a Food Sensitivity and Not Know It?
If your skin breaks into a fiery, itchy rash, your tongue swells and breathing becomes difficult shortly after eating a shrimp cocktail, there’s a goo...
Could I be allergic to carmine?
Clifford W. Bassett, MDClifford W. Bassett, MD
Carmine (a red food coloring made from beetles) has been used as a coloring agent in many foods from...
What are the symptoms of a wheat allergy?
The most common symptoms of a wheat allergy are abdominal pain, bloating, nausea and diarrhea. A sub...
What Are Some Food Substitutions for Corn in my Diet?