Can reactions to food allergies cause death in children?

Vandana  R. Sheth

Yes, unfortunately, if not treated appropriately and immediately, a severe food allergic reaction can cause death in children.  According to the Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Network--

• As many as 15 million Americans have food allergies, including approximately 6 million children.
  • The CDC reported that food allergies result in over 300,000 ambulatory-care visits a year among children.

According to an April 2007 “Journal of Allergy & Clinical Immunology” research study found that of the deaths of 31 individuals who suffered fatal anaphylaxis--Peanuts accounted for 17 of the deaths (55%); tree nuts caused 8; milk caused 4; and shrimp 2.  Epinephrine availability is a key factor in the cause of death with only 4 of the fatalities having received epinephrine in a timely fashion. The location of the deaths wasn’t known in all the instances; however the most common occurrence was at a restaurant.

Continue Learning about Food Allergies & Food Intolerance

How can I protect my child with food allergies?
Parents have long been advised to avoid introducing certain foods—spices, dairy, wheat, for example—...
What is food intolerance?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Food intolerance is a chemical reaction in your body that does not involve the immune system. It is ...
What is the food elimination test?
Because food has such an influence on our digestion, it stands to reason that you can change the way...
What should I do if I think I have a food allergy?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
If you think you have a food allergy, it’s important to visit your doctor. Your doctor will ask lots...