Can eating peanuts while I'm pregnant cause peanut allergy in my child?

Dr. Pina LoGiudice, LAc, ND
Naturopathic Medicine Specialist

A study in the Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology conducted at Mount Sinai in New York looked at 503 infants. According to blood tests, it was found that the babies whose mothers ate a greater number of peanut products during pregnancy were more likely to test positive for peanut allergies showing as allergic factors found in the blood. Of note, it is not clear whether these children will definitely develop allergy. Most of the children had not actually ingested peanuts at the time of the blood test.

What is particularly interesting in this study is that all had likely milk or egg allergies or significant eczema, which are risk factors for peanut allergy.

Continue Learning about Food Allergies & Food Intolerance

Are Your Food Allergies Real?
Are Your Food Allergies Real?
Many parents refused to take their children to see last year’s film Peter Rabbit. The movie includes a scene in which Peter and a gang of bunnies use ...
What should I feed a baby with a milk allergy?
Since many kids are allergic to the protein in cow's milk, you need to watch out for symptoms that m...
What are wheat allergies?
Wheat allergies are an adverse reaction of your body's immune system to wheat proteins. Someone with...
Why Should I Avoid High-Fructose Corn Syrup?