Can fructose intolerance be prevented?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Fructose intolerance is an inherited disease and cannot be prevented, although symptoms can be minimized with a fructose-free diet. If you have a family history of fructose intolerance, you may want to speak with your doctor about genetic testing. If you and your partner carry the gene that causes fructose intolerance, you have a 25 percent chance of passing it to each child.

Continue Learning about Food Allergies & Food Intolerance

Everything You Need to Know About Common Food Allergies
Whether shrimp makes you itchy or eggs give you hives, you’re in good company. Food allergies affect around 32 million Americans, according to the non...
What lifestyle changes must I make if I have a child with wheat allergies?
The most significant lifestyle change will be what foods you and your family eat and how you cook it...
Could my peanut allergy last for the rest of my life?
Dr. Tanya R. Altmann, MDDr. Tanya R. Altmann, MD
A peanut allergy is the food allergy most likely to be life-threatening, but is it lifelong? In this...
How to Spot Food Allergies in Kids
How to Spot Food Allergies in Kids