What foods should I avoid during pregnancy if I am at risk for allergies?

Paul M. Ehrlich, MD
Allergy & Immunology
Women with a propensity to allergy should avoid eggs, milk, peanuts, and other high-allergy foods during their third trimester of pregnancy and while breast-feeding, in order to minimize the chances that the allergy clock will start running early for their allergy-prone offspring. Once that clock does start ticking, it's fairly predictable and difficult for both child and parent. Painful conditions like colic, vomiting, and general crankiness, which take a toll on parental nerves in addition to children's health, can be followed by eczema and other symptoms.
Asthma Allergies Children: A Parent's Guide

Asthma and allergies are at epidemic proportions. It doesn't have to be that way. Two experienced pediatric allergists tell everything a conscientious parent needs to know about these conditions,...

Continue Learning about Food Allergies Causes & Risks

When does a food allergy reaction occur?
Joan Salge Blake, MS, RDJoan Salge Blake, MS, RD
A food allergy reaction occurs in two stages, the “sensitization stage” followed by the actual respo...
Can chemical products cause food allergies in children?
Jessica R. Savage, MDJessica R. Savage, MD
Children with food allergies have been found to have very high levels of antimicrobial chemicals in ...
If I cook or chill a food will I still be allergic to it?
Probably. A food allergy is an immune system response to a component in a food. The component re...
Why do I have a food allergy now that I'm older?
Though most individuals develop food allergies in early childhood, food allergies can develop at any...