What foods should I avoid during pregnancy if I am at risk for allergies?

Paul M. Ehrlich, MD
Allergy & Immunology
Women with a propensity to allergy should avoid eggs, milk, peanuts, and other high-allergy foods during their third trimester of pregnancy and while breast-feeding, in order to minimize the chances that the allergy clock will start running early for their allergy-prone offspring. Once that clock does start ticking, it's fairly predictable and difficult for both child and parent. Painful conditions like colic, vomiting, and general crankiness, which take a toll on parental nerves in addition to children's health, can be followed by eczema and other symptoms.
Asthma Allergies Children: A Parent's Guide

Asthma and allergies are at epidemic proportions. It doesn't have to be that way. Two experienced pediatric allergists tell everything a conscientious parent needs to know about these conditions,...

Continue Learning about Food Allergies Causes & Risks

Why do I have a food allergy now that I'm older?
Though most individuals develop food allergies in early childhood, food allergies can develop at any...
When does a food allergy reaction occur?
Academy of Nutrition and DieteticsAcademy of Nutrition and Dietetics
Food allergies occur when your body's immune system reacts to a substance in food, usually a pro...
What foods commonly cause food allergies?
Dr. Paul M. Ehrlich, MDDr. Paul M. Ehrlich, MD
While any food can cause allergies, 90 percent of all food-allergic reactions are caused by: Eggs...
If I cook or chill a food will I still be allergic to it?
Probably. A food allergy is an immune system response to a component in a food. The component re...