If I cook or chill a food will I still be allergic to it?

Probably. A food allergy is an immune system response to a component in a food. The component remains in the food during heating or chilling or any other type of processing. The exception to this is sometimes seen with egg and milk allergies; some individuals with egg allergy are able to consume egg or milk that has been extensively heated and in smaller amounts, such as in a baked good. Always check with your health care provider before trying any food you suspect is an allergen.

Continue Learning about Food Allergies Causes & Risks

When does a food allergy reaction occur?
Academy of Nutrition and DieteticsAcademy of Nutrition and Dietetics
Food allergies occur when your body's immune system reacts to a substance in food, usually a pro...
What foods should I avoid during pregnancy if I am at risk for allergies?
Paul M. Ehrlich, MDPaul M. Ehrlich, MD
Women with a propensity to allergy should avoid eggs, milk, peanuts, and other high-allergy food...
Why do I have a food allergy now that I'm older?
Though most individuals develop food allergies in early childhood, food allergies can develop at any...
What foods commonly cause food allergies?
Dr. Paul M. Ehrlich, MDDr. Paul M. Ehrlich, MD
While any food can cause allergies, 90 percent of all food-allergic reactions are caused by: Eggs...