If I cook or chill a food will I still be allergic to it?

Probably. A food allergy is an immune system response to a component in a food. The component remains in the food during heating or chilling or any other type of processing. The exception to this is sometimes seen with egg and milk allergies; some individuals with egg allergy are able to consume egg or milk that has been extensively heated and in smaller amounts, such as in a baked good. Always check with your health care provider before trying any food you suspect is an allergen.

Continue Learning about Food Allergies Causes & Risks

Can chemical products cause food allergies in children?
Jessica R. Savage, MDJessica R. Savage, MD
Children with food allergies have been found to have very high levels of antimicrobial chemicals in ...
What foods should I avoid during pregnancy if I am at risk for allergies?
Paul M. Ehrlich, MDPaul M. Ehrlich, MD
Women with a propensity to allergy should avoid eggs, milk, peanuts, and other high-allergy food...
What are the causes and risk factors of food allergy?
Dr. Scott H. Sicherer, MDDr. Scott H. Sicherer, MD
Food allergy happens when the body's immune system responds in a negative way to proteins in foods. ...
Why do I have a food allergy now that I'm older?
Though most individuals develop food allergies in early childhood, food allergies can develop at any...