Who should not take Prozac?

You should not take the antidepressant Prozac (fluoxetine) if you currently take (or recently stopped taking) a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI), which is another type of antidepressant, or if you take or have recently taken either of the antipsychotic drugs thioridazine or Orap (pimozide). It's also likely you should not take Prozac if you're undergoing electroshock therapy or if you're allergic to Prozac or to any of its ingredients.

If you have glaucoma, diabetes or heart problems, Prozac may not be for you. This drug is not recommended for women who are breastfeeding; it passes into breast milk and in some cases has affected nursing babies. Prozac may cause problems for developing fetuses and newborns, so it may not be recommended for pregnant women either.

Continue Learning about Fluoxetine

What are the brand names of fluoxetine?
Fluoxetine is the generic name of the active ingredient in several brand name drugs: Prozac, Rap...
Is there a generic version of fluoxetine?
Fluoxetine is the generic ingredient found in several anti-depressant and selective serotonin reupta...
What is fluoxetine?
Fluoxetine is a prescription drug that is used to treat depression, obsessive-compulsive disorde...
What do I do if I take too much fluoxetine?
When taking fluoxetine, it’s important to follow your doctor’s directions exactly. Taking too mu...