What is fluoxetine?

Fluoxetine is a prescription drug that is used to treat depression, obsessive-compulsive disorder, panic attacks, some eating disorders, and sometimes for premenstrual dysmorphic disorder. It is a serotonin reuptake inhibitor; serotonin is a naturally-occurring neurotransmitter responsible for feelings of well-being. Low serotonin levels have been linked to anxiety disorders and depression. Fluoxetine works by increasing the amount of serotonin in your brain to alleviate feelings of anxiety and depression.

Continue Learning about Fluoxetine

Who should not take fluoxetine?
You should not take fluoxetine if you are allergic to fluoxetine or to any of its other ingredie...
What do I do if I take too much fluoxetine?
When taking fluoxetine, it’s important to follow your doctor’s directions exactly. Taking too mu...
Who should take fluoxetine?
Fluoxetine is intended for people being treated for depression, panic disorder, obsessive-compul...
Does fluoxetine interact with other drugs and foods?
Fluoxetine may interact with other selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs), serotonin-norepi...