When can I stop taking Prozac?

Tapering the Prozac dose under the direction of your physician is very important. In some cases small dose changes are made once weekly and then monitored and evaluated by your doctor to determine the next decrease in dose. It is key to have your physician's involvement in determining the best tapering schedule for you and your medical conditions.
The best, and safest, way to come off the antidepressant Prozac (fluoxetine) is to wean off the drug slowly. Stopping cold turkey, even if you're feeling better, can cause withdrawal symptoms, such as dizziness, irritability, headache, insomnia and more. If you want to stop taking Prozac, talk to your doctor first. He or she will likely lower your dose gradually before you can stop taking it.

Continue Learning about Fluoxetine

Can fluoxetine treat other conditions?
Yes. Fluoxetine has been used to treat disorders other than depression. Before taking fluoxetine...
Should breastfeeding women take fluoxetine?
Fluoxetine can pass into breast milk. This medicine is part of a group called selective serotoni...
What should I know about fluoxetine before taking it?
You should not take fluoxetine if you are allergic to it or to any of its ingredients. Talk to y...
Who should not take fluoxetine?
You should not take fluoxetine if you are allergic to fluoxetine or to any of its other ingredie...